Online License Renewal Online Address Change License Verifiction Database
Search Our Site:
 • Forms
 • Nurse Practice Act
 • Agency Fees
 • Licensing Division

 • Education Division

 • Legal Division
 • Board Meetings
 • State Employment
 • Site Tools
 • Site Map
 • Contact Us

Landon State Office Building
900 SW Jackson Street
Suite 1051
Topeka, Kansas 66612-1230
Main: 785-296-4929
Fax: 785-296-3929

Home > Licensing Frequently Asked Questions

Licensing Frequently Asked Questions

Q. Do distance learning and non-traditional programs qualify for licensure in Kansas?

A. The Kansas State Board of Nursing has received numerous inquiries lately regarding “distance learning” and non-traditional programs that do not include a clinical component in the curriculum.

The statutes and regulations establish that:
(1) Applicants for licensure must have graduated from an approved school of nursing (KSA 65-1115 [a] [2] and KSA 65-1116 [a] [3]);
(2) To be approved, a nursing program must provide clinical experience (KAR 60-2-104 [c] & [d]);
(3) Furthermore, the faculty in each nursing program must “direct clinical instruction as an integral part of the program” (KAR 60-2-104 [a] [3]);
(4) The clinical component of the program must entail “an active process in which the student participates in nursing activities while being guided by a member of the faculty” (KAR 60-1-104 [e]); and
(5) An out-of-state school must maintain standards at least equal to in-state schools approved by the board in order for the board to consider graduates from that school qualified for licensure. (KSA 65-1119 [f].

Performance examinations alone do not meet the requirements of direct clinical instruction as an integral part of the program or an active process in which the student participates in nursing activities while being guided by a member of the faculty. Therefore, if programs do not have a comprehensive clinical component, graduates will not qualify for licensure in Kansas. Graduates of nursing programs that lack a clinical component who have obtained a nursing license in another state will not be qualified to obtain licensure in Kansas by endorsement. These persons must meet the Kansas qualifications for licensure.

If you have had clinical education please contact the education department.

Q.Where is the zero in my license number?
A. Do you think your license number looks different?  Don't panic, you are not seeing things nor do you need your eyes checked.  With the new KSBN computer system, license numbers do appear different.  If your license number begins with a zero, the new program drops the zeroes. Everything else remains the same.  The prefix indicating licensure has not changed.  The last three digits that determine the renewal month and year have not changed.  The only difference is that the number on the license will be printed without the zeroes. 

Example: 14-0XXXXX-082 the middle zero is dropped.


Q. Are Certified Nurses Aides (CNA’s) and Certified Medication Aides (CMA’s) licensed or certified through the Kansas State Board of Nursing?
A. CNA and CMA certification is handled by the Kansas Department of Health and Environment (KDHE). For questions regarding CNA or CMA certification, contact KDHE at (785) 296-1240 or

Q. How do I change my name and/or address?
A. There are several options for change of name and address. The Board will accept the following for change of address:

  • Online address change at (social security number and PIN number are necessary to use this option),
  • Address Change Form (available at submitted to the Board or,
  • Notification of new address submitted to the Board in writing (i.e., post office change of address card), to include name, license number or social security number, signature, and date

The Board will accept the following for change of name:

  • Change of Name Certificate (available at submitted to the Board. The Change of Name Certificate must be signed by a Notary Public or legal documentation (i.e., marriage certificate, divorce decree, etc.) must accompany the Change of Name Certificate. If a new license card, with the new name, is required the duplicate license fee of $25.00 must accompany the Change of Name Certificate.

Q. How do I request a duplicate or replacement license card?
A. A duplicate or replacement license card may be issued upon receipt of the Duplicate License Affidavit (available at and duplicate license fee of $25.00. If license card was stolen, the duplicate license fee will be waived with a copy of the Police Report.


Q. Must I complete my Continuing Nursing Education (CNE) hours prior to applying for reinstatement?
A. If 30 hours of CNE are not complete at time of application for reinstatement a 120-day temporary permit may be requested allowing you to practice while completing the CNE requirements.

Q. I applied for reinstatement and have now completed the Continuing Nursing Education (CNE) requirements. What do I do with the CNE Certificates?
A. Satisfactory proof (readable copies of certificates are acceptable) of 30 hours of CNE must be submitted to the Board. Copies of certificates may be mailed to the Kansas State Board of Nursing, Attention Licensing Section, 900 SW Jackson, Ste 1051, Topeka, KS 66612. Copies of certificates may also be faxed to the Board at (785) 296-8643. Upon receipt, the certificates will be reviewed and a permanent license issued.

Q. Do I need to send an additional fee when I submit copies of my Continuing Nursing Education Certificates (CNE)?
A. The application fee paid at the time you submitted your application includes all fees necessary for licensure.

Q. How long will it take to get my license once I submit my application?
A. Depending upon a number of circumstances it will take approximately 3 – 10 business days to receive your license in the mail. An application that is lacking information, or previous legal or disciplinary action, may delay the processing of your application. Please ensure the application is completed in its entirety and has been signed, dated and notarized (if applicable) prior to submitting to the Board. If previous legal or disciplinary action has been taken against any license, please follow the detailed instructions that accompany the application.

Q. I just received my license card and the expiration date is only one year away. Aren’t licenses good for two years?
A. While licenses are good for a two year period the expiration date is based on your month and year of birth. Your renewal date will be the last day of your birth month in every odd-numbered year of you were born in an odd-numbered year or, every even-numbered year if you were born in an even-numbered year. Your initial license card will reflect the next renewal date that applies to you.

EXAMPLE: Birthdate 03/12/1964 = Renewal date 03/2004 and every even numbered year thereafter (i.e., 03/2006, 03/2008, etc.)


Q. I am in need of verification of my original license in order to endorse into another state. What is the fee for verification?
A. The fee for verification of your original license in Kansas is $25.00 per license number. The verification fee(s) must accompany the written request for verification. The verification will be completed and forwarded directly to the state into which you are endorsing.

Q. What information does the verification include?
A. The verification of original license usually includes your license number, date of issue, date of expiration, education program and date of graduation, date of licensure exam and scores, and any legal or disciplinary action.

Q. How long does the verification process take?
A. Generally, requests for verification of original license are processed within three (3) business days of receipt by the Board. Past legal or disciplinary issues may delay the verification process as the request must be submitted to our legal department for additional information.

Q. Can you fax the verification to the requesting state?
A. For the protection of our nurses, and to maintain security within our system, the Kansas State Board of Nursing does not submit verifications of original license by fax.

Q. Can you express mail or "overnight" the verification to the requesting state?
A. Due to rapid turnaround time in processing verification requests, the Board does not find it necessary to utilize express mail services.


Q. Does the Renewal Application need to be notarized?
A. With recent changes to the renewal application, the application no longer needs to be notarized. Signature and date is required.


© 2003 Kansas Board of Nursing.
Questions or Comments - Disclaimer